The game of cricket has been played on the Rock of Gibraltar since the late eighteenth century. Initially played by British Servicemen, it was not long before some of the local inhabitants took up the game. It is recorded that by the year 1800 there was a cricket ground on the land immediately to the north of the Rock, and that by 1822 there were civilians playing the game as well as Servicemen. The Gibraltar Cricket Club was established in 1883 and it was to form the backbone of civilian cricket on the Rock until well into the twentieth century.
By the 1930′s Gibraltar was producing many local-born cricketers and the game flourished. The occasional touring side came along, but this was hardly a regular feature. During the Second World War the game came to a temporary halt, and the playing fields at the North Front disappeared to make way for the construction of an airfield. After the war the Gibraltar Cricket Club was given a site adjacent to the airfield, the location of the present-day Victoria Stadium.
The 1950′s saw an increase of civilian cricketers and the emergence of other non-service cricket clubs. In May 1960 the Gibraltar Cricket Association was formed, to be responsible for the running of civilian cricket on the Rock. In 1969 the Association achieved full recognition as a cricketing body when elected an Associate Member of the International Cricket Council. In recent years the governence of the game in Gibraltar has become more and more professionalised, cricket now being governed by Cricket Board (Gibraltar) Ltd. The Board uses the funding received primarily from ICC Europe and our Sponsors to oversee the development of the game and employ 2 permanent staff in coaching and administrative positions to push forward the strategic plan.